Creating a Shadow Creature
“Shadow” is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). The creature’s type changes to “magical beast.” It otherwise uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted below.
Speed: As base creature × 1 1/2.
Special Qualities: A shadow creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following ones:
• Cold resistance of 5 + 1 per HD, to a maximum of 20.
• Darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
• Low-light vision.
• Shadow Blend (Su): In any conditions other than full daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it concealment. Artificial illumination, even light or continual flame spells, does not negate this ability. A daylight spell, however, will.
Shadow creatures also have one additional supernatural ability for every 4 HD they possess (minimum of one) chosen from the following list (caster level is equal to HD, DC is 10 + spell level + Charisma bonus):
• +2 luck bonus on all saving throws.
• Cause fear once per day.
• Damage reduction 5/magic
• Mirror image once per day.
• Fast healing 2
If the base creature already has one or more of these special qualities, use the better value.
Skills: Same as the base creature, plus Stealth +5.
Feats: Same as the base creature.
Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature.
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.
Treasure: Same as the base creature.
Alignment: Same as the base creature, although rarely good.
Advancement: Same as the base creature.